Sam is joined by our director of nutrition, Lori Graham, to interview Joel M. Evans, M.D., a board certified OB/GYN and international lecturer. He is the Founder and Director of The Center for Functional Medicine, where he practices integrative functional gynecology.
- Dr. Evans’s aha moment happened when he had a patient who was newly diagnosed with breast cancer six months before her wedding. She asked him a question that he did not know the answer to and this sparked him to think further. She wanted to know if what she eats will affect her condition. This patient really pushed him and questioned him to find out more on this matter. In the 90s, doctors like Joel Evans had to actually take time and research topics like this as there weren’t one-click answers available on Google.
- Dr. Evans became angry internally that despite his extensive education he never learned anything about the importance of nutrition on the body.
- The doctor had another revelation when he later had a patient who was terminally sick and challenged him with questions about life after death. This pushed Dr. Evans to explore alternative thinking and meditation for the first time in his career.
- At this point, Dr. Evans realized that there were two huge gaps within his traditional training that did not allow him to give his patients what they truly needed. These were two eye opening experiences for him and led him to his work today in both functional medicine and the use of meditation in his practice.
- Additionally, Dr. Evans’ love for humanity led him to go to war zones around the world as well as teaching firefighters meditation to heal their minds post-911.
- His pioneer way of thinking has created a practice that connects the physiological changes within the body through different forms of meditation. His background as a MD allowed him to understand and measure the effects of mediation and how it connects to the neurobiology of stress and behavioral change. This led him to figure out that the true solutions to disease is through preventative measures from behavior and lifestyle changes.
- This type of progressive thinking led Dr. Joel to become a leading figure world wide for companies like KBMO and IFM (Institute for Functional Medicine)
- As the medical director for the KBMO FIT TEST, Dr. Evans explains what inclination is and how it affects your daily life and overall health. He explores the detail working of why these tests are so important and how people can get this information to truly improve their health.
- Being an OBGYN and one of the curriculum creators for IFM has led Dr. Evans to study females and their physiology and psychology in pre-pregnancy, during pregnancy, and post-pregnancy. He talks about the intention of the preconceived child from the mindset of both parents involved all the way through birth.
- In 1997, Dr. Evans worked under Jim Gordon at his Mind, Body, Medicine Institute, where he then went to work with meditation teachers such as Julia Kitty to better enhance his personal knowledge. This curiosity led him to India to study at a leading Ashram, where he also did charity work.